“ The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly”
– John 10:10 –
Commentary by Enduring Word
I have come that they may have life, and they may have it more abundantly: Jesus said this to contrast His shepherd-like care with unfaithful and illegitimate leaders. They come to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. Jesus comes to bring life to His people.
“The Greek word for ‘abundance,’ perissos, has a mathematical meaning and generally denotes a surplus…The abundant life is above all the contented life, in which our contentment is based upon the fact that God is equal to every emergency and is able to supply all our needs according to His riches and glory in Christ Jesus.” (Boice)
· Abundant life isn’t an especially long life
· Abundant life isn’t an easy, comfortable life
· Abundant life is a life of satisfaction and contentment in Jesus
“Life is a matter of degrees. Some have life, but it flickers like a dying candle, and is indistinct as the fire in the smoking flax; others are full of life, and are bright and vehement.” (Spurgeon)
· Someone with a lot of life has stamina
· Someone with a lot of life has increased energy
· Someone with a lot of life has a large sphere of living
· Someone with a lot of life has the ability to do things
· Someone with a lot of life has an overflow of enjoyment
· Someone with a lot of life has what it takes to win
Abundant life sheep give honor to the shepherd. They are a credit to him.